July 29, 2014

we're back!

OK... so, our family has officially travelled more in the last month than all of the last three years. Crazy, huh? I'd love to be the sort of family that visits a lot of places, but I have to admit that vacationing with kids is far more exhausting than relaxing. Eric and I have talked about this a lot over the last few months, though, and we agree that we want to do more traveling when the kids get older.

Eric's family rarely took trips outside the state of Alabama when he was a kid. My family, on the other hand, vacationed every year and usually went out of state. We'd alternate going to the beach one year and the mountains the next, but we never left the Southeast. I've travelled a little into the Midwest and West as an adult (and once, when I was thirteen, I took a school trip to Washington, D.C. and New York City). We want to take our kids all over the U.S. and maybe even visit the other side of "The Pond" one day!

I'm going to spend the next few days going through the pictures I took on the beach. I haven't put all of them on my computer yet, but here is one from our first night in Panama City Beach:

DSC_0016

I was amazed how much little Hawk took to the beach. The surf was rough the whole time we were there and the red warning flags were raised most of the weekend. He was totally unafraid! Last time we went to Panama City, Seth was only a little bit younger than Hawk is now, and he was terrified of the water. Seth has a much more anxious personality, anyway, and this just illustrated the differences between our sons further.

Hawk could not stay away from the water's edge, even after he took a few face-first tumbles into the waves. He just kept getting back up and heading right back into it! His curiosity and courage actually frighten me... I'm sure he'll be the kid that keeps us going back and forth to the emergency room one day (hopefully not soon).

The trip to the beach was virtually spontaneous, as far as we go. We rarely do anything so spur of the moment! Eric, especially, is very much a planner and likes to live with an agenda that's decided pretty far in advance. We only decided last week that we were going to take this trip, and the plan was to travel with my parents. They backed out of the trip at the last minute, but Eric and I decided to hit the road anyway.

My aunt has a house two blocks from the beach, and we met her and my cousins there. It was a fun weekend, if not relaxing! The weather was great and it was nice to be with family that I hadn't seen in a long time. They got to meet my kids and we had a good time catching up with each other.

As for today, I've got mountains of laundry and errands. It may take some time to get back to normal! I'm so glad we were able to get away for a little while, but it's tough to get back into a regular routine. I hope to have some more pictures to share later this week.

How about you: what's the furthest you've ever travelled from home?

No comments :

Post a Comment

blog design © 2014 Sarah McConnell