August 11, 2014

firsts.

Today is another day in that long tally of firsts most parents like to check off with pride. There was his first solid food. Then his first words. First steps. First time going down a slide without help. First time to wear big boy underwear. It's been a while since the last time he had a first, but today is my oldest son's first day of school. Pinch me, because I can't believe this day has arrived so soon. He says he's ready, and I say I'm ready. But am I really ready for this?

DSC_0021

I'm not going to get sappy on you because that's just not my style. I'm actually pretty relaxed about this whole thing. I'll probably snap a picture to post on Facebook: that'll make the grandparents happy. For sure, I'm guaranteed to do some radically stereotypical mom things today. I promise not to embarrass the kid too much! But after that door shuts behind me on the way out of the school, I'm walking into a new daily routine with open arms.

I've already got my tennis shoes on, ready to go. When Hawk and I get home, that kid's getting in his stroller and we're going for a long walk together. This mama's got to get serious about getting fit, and this is the day I'm beginning! I don't have much of a plan yet, which is strange for me. I'm just starting simple by tackling my need to fit more physical activity into my days. Baby steps, people! Next summer, I want to add a new first to my list:

(Mama's first bikini.)

Now that school is starting, I'm aching to have a consistent routine that includes an appropriate amount of exercise and healthier eating for the whole family. We've had way to much fast food lately! I've never been good at sticking to a routine, but I want to get better. I'm convinced a little discipline goes a long way and is healthy for everyone.

I'm not going to be posting regular progress reports about my weight loss goals, but it's pretty safe to say that you'll probably be able to tell that I'm doing well when I start sharing an occasional "outfit of the day" post on Instagram. That's not usually how I roll, of course.

But there's always a first time for everything.

No comments :

Post a Comment

blog design © 2014 Sarah McConnell