August 12, 2014

see the magic city: vulcan

I've lived in Birmingham, Alabama my whole life. You can call me Magic City born and bred! My hometown earned it's nickname because of the explosive population growth the new city experienced during it's first few decades. Founded in the 1880s, Birmingham was a steel town, and it was also called "The Pittsburgh of the South" for a while.

As a Birmingham native, I have quite a fond attachment to the iron man overlooking our city: our statue of the Roman god of fire and forge, Vulcan. The cast iron giant was created by sculptor Giuseppe Moretti for the 1904 World's Fair and was erected over Birmingham in 1936. I've known Vulcan my whole life, and he's like part of my own family.

Unfortunately, I don't get around to see my extended family often enough, and it's been at least twenty years since I last visited Vulcan's 10-acre park. Recently, we decided to remedy that situation and introduce our sons to their great-uncle Vulcan:


DSC_0066

DSC_0074

DSC_0078

DSC_0053

DSC_0086

DSC_0089

DSC_0090

DSC_0094

DSC_0096

DSC_0103

DSC_0105

DSC_0109

DSC_0119

DSC_0149

No matter where my family lands in this life, Birmingham will always be my earthly home. I've been thinking about making this an occasional feature. I'd love to share some of my favorite spots with you all. Then, when I think I've run out of posts about my hometown, I'll be encouraged to explore and find some new favorite places!

Where do you live? Does your town have any unique attractions?

No comments :

Post a Comment

blog design © 2014 Sarah McConnell