August 1, 2014

slow blogging.

Slow blogging | hellohive.blogspot.com

Have you heard the term slow blogging? This is something I've done a lot of thinking about lately. I started out blogging in a different social media climate than the one we're in now. It seems eons ago now, but there was a time when people blogged for the fun of it and to be part of a community. Now it seems more about making money and being famous.

This is a large part of the reason why I burned out before and quit, I'm sure. There's so much pressure to keep up a pace that's unrealistic, to the exclusion of having a real life, just so you can monetize your blog or make a name for yourself. I started looking around me and thinking, "My life looks nothing like my Pinterest. I feel like a fraud. I feel like I'm not valuable."

The word "authentic" has become a catchphrase, and I think we use it to make ourselves feel better about ourselves more than because we really are presenting a genuine portrayal of our lives to our social media audiences. Guilty as charged. What about you?

Does this mean I don't want to make money with my blog one day? Gosh, no. I think it's great that we can use this media as a way to provide marketing for up and coming brands and support companies that help make our lives more manageable, colorful, fun, meaningful... or whatever. But it does mean that I support the notion of scaling back the expectations for ourselves and others. It means that there are so many voices "out there", shouting at us to buy this or be that or live this way and we can't possibly listen to them all and still hear to our own voices.

I'm in favor of a slower lifestyle and using social media with more intention. I'd rather read a blog that's unique and well-written twice a week than read a blog whose writer obviously posts just for the sake of posting six days a week. And I don't want to be one more voice joining in the din around you, shouting at you to be one way or another so you can add up in an equation of soul-numbing conformity.

There once was a time when I could easily keep up with a daily posting schedule and also engage meaningfully with other bloggers. That time is not right now. I'm having a harder time than ever making connections with people. Not growing an audience, obviously: my numbers are good and I'm proud of the payoff for my hard work over the past couple of months.

Breadth doesn't bring with it depth. And I'm craving depth.

I've spent the last couple of months growing this blog, but I don't feel rooted to it yet. I still feel like I'm on the outside: like I'm in high school again and I haven't found my clique. I want to belong. I want to know people deeply and to love them well.

I want to spend the next few months growing the roots I crave. If it means I have to post less, then so be it. If it means I need to get by on four hours of sleep per day for a while, then load up the coffee pot. Let's do this thing.

Do you practice slow blogging?

Recommended Reading


No comments :

Post a Comment

blog design © 2014 Sarah McConnell