September 15, 2014

eat, make, do | v. 03

There's been a virus going around these parts, and I was confident I'd missed it until it hit me like a freight train Friday evening. Saturday morning, I was wishing for death, but thankfully it had subsided for the most part by the time Sunday morning rolled around, and I felt well enough to bake some banana muffins.

My boys said they were good, even though the nutmeg was the only thing I could taste, and my coffee tasted like licking charcoal... but, whatever. Now my lungs feel like crumpled up brown paper sacks, but in the scheme of things, I'm happy my Saturday morning prayer for death went unanswered for now.

Being sick, paired with a Sunday morning sermon about overcoming stress from our church pastor- has pretty much convinced me this should be a pretty low expectations week. I picked some super simple inspirations for this week's Eat, Make, Do!

EMD-3


EAT | One Pot Lemon Orzo Shrimp by Damn Delicious
MAKE | Pretty Shampoo Bottles by Almost Makes Perfect
DO | Tips for cleaning and seasoning cast iron by Frugal Living NW

Last week, I successfully cleaned out my closet: paring down my clothing choices for a pretty functional capsule wardrobe! My initial inspiration was the 20 piece wardrobe remix from Greater Than Rubies, and I listed it as one of my choices for Eat, Make, Do last week. I posted on Thursday about the thoughts the process of cleaning out my closet dredged up- if you haven't read that post, you certainly should.

Instead of 20 pieces, I focused on the 37 pieces recommended by Caroline at Unfancy. The number I landed on was smack in the middle- a hanger check over the weekend revealed I now have 30 pieces in my core wardrobe. That number breaks down like this:

  • 10 basic tee shirts in shades of grey, white, black, and cool colors (navy, green and purple).
  • 4 jeans in varying shades of blue and black.
  • 5 knee-height dresses
  • 4 maxi dresses (all can be worn layered with a cardigan in early fall)
  • 2 long-sleeve button-up blouses
  • 1 short-sleeve cardigan (black)
  • 1 long-sleeve cardigan (grey)
  • 1 fleece pullover
  • 1 medium weight fleece zip-up jacket
  • 1 heavy coat for late fall

I also have a collection of layering tanks, tights and leggings not included in this count. And now I feel so much freedom knowing I really have more than what I need available to me already! I can save a lot of money over the next few months if I can remember that these basics are more than enough.

A better way to punch up my personal style will be to begin assemble a collection of fun accessories instead of adding more stuff to my closet. I actually have very few jewelry pieces, and I'll focus my shopping eye in the next few months on some versatile necklaces, bracelets, scarves and shoes.

Now, I'm only a few weeks away from my birthday, and my parents and in-law's usually give me cash. I'm turning 34 this year, and I still feel like a little kid anticipating that birthday present- except now that I'm a grown up it's not a surprise anymore and I can decide for myself how to distribute my newfound wealth! I'll probably add a couple of new Kindle books to my queue, but I'm also looking at this, this and these.

Have you been shopping for something special lately?

No comments :

Post a Comment

blog design © 2014 Sarah McConnell