October 17, 2014

new york, new york

"I wish we could take a family vacation to New York City." I voiced the words, knowing Eric would think it was a foolish idea.

"That would be cool," he says, blowing my assumptions out of the water. He's a play it safe, stick close to home kind of guy. I never thought he'd go along with this crazy idea. Who vacations in New York City? Not people like us.

"You know what?" He continues, "I think it would be neat to live there for a while, too."

newyork

Love these NYC-inspired style finds (top to bottom, left to right): Fall For Split-Back Woven Sweater | Zero Gravity "Stargazer" iPhone case | Henri Bendel "West 57th E/W New York Skyline" Tote | Kurt Geiger London "Lourdes" Ballet Flat |  H&M Shaping Skinny Jeans | CC Skye Pave Double Header Spike Bracelet

I've never told him that's one of my 100 Wishes. I truly thought he'd think my little dream too audacious, too "out there", too wild! We're Alabama people, through and through. Both of us were born and raised in Birmingham, neither of us have lived anywhere else. We have all our family here, we have roots, we have obligations.

I visited the Big Apple once, as a teenager. My parents were hesitant to let me go, but they allowed me the experience because I was with a school group and it was tradition for the class graduating out of my junior high to go each spring. The tour of New York was tacked on the end of a week in Washington, D.C., and I moved through the nation's capitol full of anxious energy waiting for the treat at the end.

I was enamored with New York City as soon as my feet fell on her pavement. The buildings, the noise, the movement and energy, the sound of people's chatter in a language accented differently from my own. I felt right at home!

So here we are, my husband and I, sitting in this car stopped at a traffic light in Birmingham, Alabama, and our dreams are meeting each other in a place nearly 1,000 miles from the city we call home. My humble, homebody hubby is telling me he thinks he'd enjoy the adventure of changing cities for a while, as well. My heart feels so happy, knowing this man is holding my heart carefully, and he's pushing me closer to becoming the person I want to be.

It's been 21 years since I was in New York. God knows if I will ever get to see her again- goodness knows, we so rarely travel. I want to be a globetrotter, I want to see lots of places- the will is there, but not yet a way! But just knowing I can share this small thing with my husband, this thing we can wish together- it makes me feel like I'm headed in the right direction.

I imagine in a few years, when the boys are older and we've had the chance to stash away some money for airfare and expenses, we'll pack up and take a romp to the Big Apple as a family. There are so many other places I want them to see, too: hopefully we can check each one off the list, one by one. Birmingham may always be home, but the wanderlust in my heart wants to show me the world outside these city limits.

Have you ever dreamed of living in a city far from your hometown?

No comments :

Post a Comment

blog design © 2014 Sarah McConnell