May 27, 2015

why "hello hive"?

I realized recently that I've never shared the original intent behind the choice of my blog's name. I must admit that somewhere along the way (really, quite shortly after beginning this blog), I lost sight of the purpose I had in mind for Hello Hive from the start. I'm certain that's probably contributed to my long season of quiet!

Hello Hive was originally intended to be a blog about home and hospitality. I draw an easy comparison between my home and a bee's hive- it's always buzzing with the activity of keeping up with these kids. I love to imagine busy bees, making their honey while keeping up with their ordinary to and fro.

I always want my home to be productive and sweet: organized and beautiful: welcoming and cozy. I like to be quick with the hellos and reluctant to say goodbye. Hospitality is important to me, and a welcoming atmosphere is one way to show generosity to guests in your home. As a homemaker, I feel like it's important for my husband to look forward to coming home each evening (not feeling dread for the chaos he might find here- though chaos does arrive on our doorstep pretty regularly!) and it's important when we have company that they feel comfortable in our home.

Miel Urbain #6

Soon after I started blogging here, I began to get really discouraged about the idea I had for Hello Hive, so my posts turned more to lifestyle and journal-style entries. Ugh, I hate to admit my failures! But, there it is. I want to write about something I love and feel passionate about, but I often feel disqualified from that call because I haven't achieved perfection yet.

I want to share simple home improvements, but I can't because improvements aren't happening around here. I want to give you before and after tours of our home, but we're in a constant state of "before". I lament the kitchen remodel that never comes and the bathroom updates we can't afford to do. I want to share gardening tips, but I'm too busy trying to keep my toddler from beheading the petunias prematurely to take pictures. I want to share recipes we love, but my food styling skills are lacking and my geriatric camera is often more trouble than it's worth.

Often, I find myself starting a post about something that fits my vision for the blog, but a few paragraphs in my text begins to spiral down into a tone of whiny complaining, and I have to scrap the whole idea to move on to something else! Geez, that's embarrassing to admit, because I don't want to be that blogger! But I hope that admitting my shortcomings and sharing my vision for Hello Hive will jumpstart a season of more focused and purposeful blogging.

It can be a real challenge to brand a blog and stay true to your "voice". There are so many wonderfully unique and relevant blogs out there that truly stand out above the rest: how can you compete? For starters, I think it's important to quit trying to compete.

If you've been around these parts long, you know I don't shy away from vulnerable, so here it is. I have a jealous spirit and I'm always comparing myself to the people around me. I think about some of you that might be sort of like me in this way, and I don't want to share home inspirations anymore because I don't want to make you feel the shame of "less than" and "not good enough" that plagues me. I want you to come away from my blog inspired and encouraged! Isn't that true hospitality- to leave someone else's space feeling better for the experience?

To that end, I'd like to totally rebrand Hello Hive and start off on a new foot. I've been brainstorming a lot but it's slow going because I don't have much time to really dedicate to it! I just wanted to share this because it's been on my heart and I felt like maybe at least a few of you could relate.

Have you defined your intent for your blog? How well do you "stick to the plan"? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Image source, Creative Commons license.

No comments :

Post a Comment

blog design © 2014 Sarah McConnell