July 10, 2015

july bookshelf.

This week has been fantastically busy, and I'm looking forward to staying at home all day today. I don't even plan on getting out of my pajamas. Bring it on, Friday!

We started the week with Summer Blast, our church's version of Vacation Bible School. Seth had an amazing time! But we lived off Pop Tarts and fast food for three days, and now I'm feeling the effects. Totally worth it.

Yesterday, we spent the afternoon visiting with friends, and then we headed to the library to refresh our summer reading stack. If I told you how much time I spend reading to the kids each day, you probably wouldn't believe me! As much as I want to dive into brand new book for myself this weekend, it's so awesome to see my boys fall in love with reading. The way I see it, I'm sacrificing this time now so I can catch up on all the reading I want to do later, once the boys are reading independently.

The audiobook has become my new best friend. I still have mixed feelings about audiobooks- they will never be the same as sitting down with a book and seeing the written words. But I decided to let go of the pressure to be totally puritanical about the differences between listening and reading a book- I'll never get all the way through the long list of books I long to read, anyway. I love being able to press play and listen to a story while I go about all the other things I need to accomplish each day!

As an added bonus, Seth has decided he really likes audiobooks, too. He'd almost prefer listening to a book over watching television. Score one for the Mommy team! So, we've been listening to a lot of my old childhood favorites together. Thank goodness for our library, because it turns out audiobooks are ridiculously expensive! I've considered an Audible subscription, but I was disappointed to learn there's actually a monthly limit. Boo, hissss.......

So, here's what's been hanging out on our shelves lately:

july-bookshelf


PAST: Love the Home You Have by Melissa Michaels
PRESENT: Finding Spiritual Whitespace by Bonnie Gray
AUDIO: The Arsonist by Sue Miller
FUTURE: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
LITTLE KID: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin, Jr.
BIG KID: James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

What have you been reading lately?

No comments :

Post a Comment

blog design © 2014 Sarah McConnell